New Campaign is under way

Old Redcliffians RFC   Vs  Wanderers


“Not the first half we would have wished for but certainly encouraging signs of togetherness as the game went on” commented Head coach Paul Matthews.

Manager Mark Gould added “Great to see a massive shift from Osian Phillips after missing most of last season through injury. The coaches will have learnt a lot about this very new group of players.”

“I didn’t say he could sit there!” said an anonymous assistant coach.

The Wanderers began the new campaign with an away friendly at Old Redcliffians. A journey hampered by very slow traffic wasn’t the best preparation, leaving the Massiv with limited pre-game drinking time.  Fortunately, the threatened rain kept away having more of an effect on the adjoining cricket than the rugby.  Both sides played out an entertaining game for the sizeable crowd, with those knowledgeable members debating as to whether the new look tackle laws were actually in force yet as both sides and the officials looked to have plenty of pre-season rust. The home side clearly had more understanding of each other’s play as they surged into an early lead with several well worked tries. The very new look Wanderers struggled with their continuity and when on the attack the home side handled the threats easily. From several turnover balls the home side were able to string combined attacks together resulting in more tries and their control was significant.  There were occasional bright moments for the visitors as their scrum went well. Old timer Gareth Reid and newcomer Mike Vaughan showed up well and Sam Matthews and Jack Beynon in the centre provided moments of cheer. As the half went on the Wanderers started to make changes allowing more new faces to enter the fray.

The second half was a far better watch for the Massiv as the Wanderers started to pick up the tempo of the game. Once again more changes and more new faces were introduced but the visitors certainly looked better with a high tempo approach. The home side came under real pressure and were forced into conceding a number of penalties in order to defend their line. The Wanderers scored deserved tries from Jack Beynon and Finn Davies with Jamin Hodgkins adding two conversions but the home side lead was never in doubt. They rallied at the end of the game to reassert their control and both sides retired to the bar to watch the Pre world cup warm up between England and Wales. There was late controversy on the journey home when Manager Mark Gould was forced to sit in the second row of seats on the bus. He was clearly struggling with this challenge to his authority and a strongly worded email was written to club Chairman on arrival home, causing Brian to break out into a bout of shingles! No doubt the offending unknown S &C coach will be severely reprimanded at training on Tuesday. Next Week its Glynneath away Friday 18th.

Match Pics:


No Replies to "New Campaign is under way"