Quins get “Short” changed

Maesteg Quins 8

Wanderers 22

“We felt at half time that we’d absorbed a lot of pressure and took time to get use to the physicality and tempo of the Championship but if we could just keep to our structure without spilling up possession we would pull through” commented Martyn Fowler. “This squad showed 9 changes to the side that beat Brecon in the play off games last season so massive credit to the group with several new players showing the character we’ll need this season.

“Certainly not our best performance but a good win all the same” added coach Darren Gibbon “In some way its pleasing to get the win knowing there’s more to come from this group. We’ll see lots of different faces in the games this Wednesday and Saturday so competition for places is huge and everyone will have a chance to put their hand up to the selectors”.

On the Wanderers 1st XV first trip to South parade the sides were met with a cool but bright afternoon. The home side were straight out of the blocks making the Wanderers cough up possession, they were quickly on the attack going through the phases forcing the visitors into scrambling defence. The Wanderers were having trouble keeping the ball and when they gave up an attack again The Quins took full advantage. Breaking downfield they set up play deep in the visitor’s territory and after recycling well they crossed in the corner for the first try of the game 0-5.  The Wanderers started to get into the game but continued handling errors provided the home side with easy relief from any pressure. Both sides chose to put the ball through the hands but the defences ruled the roost. The visitors opened their account after about 15 mins when a ruck offence allowed Paul Short to step up and land a penalty 5-3 but the early exchanges had the home side on top. The Wanderers slowly gained some parity and after a break by Cameron Gibbon, Short was denied after a kick chase as the ball went dead. Back came the Quins and just before the half hour they extended their lead with a penalty 8-3. The visitors were then forced into a change with Mike Owen leaving the field to be replaced by Max Wootton. Once again the Wanderers mounted an attack only to see the ball spilled allowing The Quins to put the ball back in visitors territory and their scrum started to dominate giving them a regular source of possession but with ball in hand they found the Wanderers defensive line solid and they could not extend their lead and the sides went into the break at 8-3.


The break certainly gave the Wanderers a little more belief and when Phil Pariyo and Will Adams Jones chased a kick well they started to take the play to the home side. A Quins missed penalty seemed to turn the tide as the clearance kick was fumbled and the Wanderers were back on the attack. Adams Jones made decent inroads into the home side defence and after the forwards, with Rob Lewis to the fore, driving well, a ruck near the Quins line allowed Short to squeeze over for the levelling score. Short converted his own try to put the visitors ahead 10-8. The Wanderers started to grow in confidence as they felt momentum swing in their favour. Managing to quell any Quins attacks the visitor’s backs started to look more dangerous with ball in hand. A ruck offence allowed Short to extend the lead with a penalty 8-13 and the Wanderers then sent for the cavalry in the form of Andrew Deabreu. The home side’s task was made a little more difficult when they received a yellow card for a high tackle. The visitors took advantage of the man extra and went on the attack again. The home side defence was forced into more errors and another penalty allowed Short an easy shot in front of the posts 8-16. Now two scores ahead the visitors had control and managed the game keeping the home side on the back foot. Despite their efforts with ball in hand the Quins continued to find a solid line of tacklers waiting for their attacks. The Wanderers emptied their bench to provide fresh legs and with the scrum now shored up there was little way back for the home side. Lewis continued to carry well and Short landed a long range penalty to make it 8-19 with little time left. His fifth penalty ended the scoring for the day as the Wanderers earned a victory on the road to begin their championship campaign. Final Score 8-22.

Wanderers scorers

Try: Paul Short

Con: Paul Short

Pens: Paul Short (5)

Wanderers Management Man of the match: Rob Lewis

Massiv Man of the match: Paul Short




No Replies to "Quins get "Short" changed"