Fish fillets Llantrisant



“Another controlled performance. We asked the players to keep the scoreboard turning over to create pressure and the boys did that” commented Martyn Fowler “They showed composure in the gloom at the end of the game to furnish the try scoring opportunity for Will to gain another vital bonus point.”

On a grey day the pitch was in surprisingly good condition considering the weather. Despite a bright start from the home side it was Llantrisant who had the first scoring opportunity but a penalty shot went just wide. A concerted catch and drive by the Wanderers set up good field position but the “Black Army” defence was solid and they cleared their lines. More drives by the home side pack once again set up a good position and Luke Fish opened the scoring with a penalty 3-0. Phil Pariyo, who has been finding tries more difficult to come by this season so far, made a telling break from a lineout in Wanderers territory but his pass to the on-running support went astray with the line at their mercy. At this time the visitors were finding it hard to gain any rhythm in their play and before long Fish added his second penalty to double the advantage to 6-0. Llantrisant had a second chance to get on the board soon afterwards but once again, in difficult kicking conditions, the shot went just wide. A bout of aerial tennis followed as both sides strove to find a telling breakthrough.  A move out wide from the home side gave Will Adams Jones a chance but once again the ball was lost forward as the cover defence scurried back into the 22. The Wanderers had control at this point and they extended the lead soon afterwards when a superb move involving forwards and backs took play deep into the visitor’s territory. Ryan Davis went close with a charge but on being held up the referee brought play back for a penalty which Fish landed 9-0. As the half entered its final 10 minutes the Wanderers finally made the pressure tell. Davis was involved carrying well and when the ball was recycled Fish popped up on the left wing and despite the defence he used his considerable girth to crash over in the corner 14-0. For the final minutes of the half Llantrisant finally found some fluidity in their play. The Wanderers were forced onto the back foot and after a series of penalties Tom Penry Ellis was sent to the bin for 10 minutes. The half ended with more aerial tennis and both sides went into the break to regroup with the score at 14-0.

As the gloom darkened the visitors made use of their man advantage and they began the half brightly. The home side were forced to concede a five metre scrum but despite their efforts the visitors could not furnish a scoring chance and the Wanderers eventually cleared their lines. Back up to 15 the Wanderers re-established some control but were guilty of squandering a couple of chances, kicking the ball away when deep in Llantrisant territory. The pressure continued and when Cameron Gibbon made a break he was barged off the ball and the home side gained a penalty and a man advantage as the visitors were reduced to 14 for 10 minutes. Electing to take the scrum the home side made the man advantage count. Morgan Evans, playing his first home game for the club, saw an opportunity and like all good scrum halves he needed no second invitation. Darting through the defence he crashed over for his first try for the club. Fish converted 21-0. Both sides started to send for the cavalry which gave a debut to new signing Tony Lamerton, in Joe Russell’s shorts! The pressure continued and once again the home side created chances only to see some poor execution and solid defence deny them again. Gibbon went close again before the lead was extended again. More driving by forwards and backs created the overlap out wide and James Loxton was on hand to take the pass from Gibbon and he coasted over in the corner. Fish converted 28-0. The conditions deteriorated as the gloom descended and handling became harder and harder. With the game out of reach Llantrisant eventually got some reward for all their endeavours. A neat move in the rain pierced the defence and with some good support running they raced away to score a converted try 28-7. With time running out the Wanderers went in search of the bonus point. The play became a little disjointed but another forward drive from a lineout resulted in another penalty and another man advantage for the final minutes. It seemed that the fourth try had eluded them but with the last play of the game the home side mounted one more attack. Taking play deep they moved the ball wide and Adams Jones popped up out wide to crash over for the final score of the game. Fish converted 35-7 full time.

Wanderers Scorers

Tries: Luke fish, James Loxton, Morgan Evans, Will Adams Jones

Cons: Luke Fish (3)

Pens: Luke fish (3)

Massiv man of the Match: Luke Fish

No Replies to "Fish fillets Llantrisant"