Ystrad power too much for young Wanderers



“We knew when the pitch was passed as fit our task would be so much more difficult against such a strong Ystrad outfit, but the boys gave it their all” commented Manager Mark Gould.

Paul Matthews added “the boys showed heart and commitment throughout against one of the best sides in the Championship. Scramble defence was excellent and some sides would have folded. We had chances and were probably guilty of forcing it a little in the conditions. They were clearly the more streetwise of the two sides in the mud”.

On a surprisingly dry afternoon on a pitch described as “heavy” in the Racing Post and “it’ll never recover” by Chris the groundsman (with a tear in his eye) the dye was set early with the powerful Ystrad pack using a strong driving maul to the best of its advantage. The high tempo game favoured by the home side was clearly going to be hard in the conditions and with the game punctuated with plenty of whistle from the referee the set piece nature of proceedings played into the visitor’s hands. The Wanderers did have a chance to get the scoreboard on the move early, but penalty shot from Ceri Morris went just wide. Ystrad then settled into their game and after 20 minutes they opened the scoring. Predictably a penalty gave them field position and a driving lineout ended in their first try 0-5. The home side were struggling to gain any real momentum despite their efforts and the visitors edged further ahead when further driving released their backs to cross for the second try. 0-12. Time in the Ystrad 22 was limited for the Wanderers but there was plenty of commitment and endeavour with little reward. Any attempt to get the game on the move was usually stopped by a whistle from the official. Another penalty for Ystrad allowed them to get more daylight between the sides, 0-15, before the home side faithful had something to cheer about. An Ystrad attack broke down in the Wanderers half. Seizing on the loose ball Morgan Williams set things in motion and Gruff Tough, (this week appearing at fullback, next week tighthead prop), popped up to carry the play on. He rounded the defence and raced away. Electing to dive early he nearly got stuck in the mud, but his momentum carried him over for an excellent solo try. Morris added the conversion 7-15. The Wanderers then ended the half on the attack, retaining possession well they went through the phases and applied some pressure to the visitors only once again for the whistle, this time for half time, to bring a halt to any proceedings.

The second half began with yet another penalty against the home side and Ystrad mounted more attacks with the driving maul a real threat every time it was deployed. A third try followed soon afterwards making it 7-20 and a bonus point was added as the game entered its final quarter 7-27. Ystrad continued to manage the game superbly well with their experience on and off the ball proving to be too much for the young Wanderers team. The game got a little stuck in the mud for the final minutes, but the home side did have one more chance to cheer as the backs set sub Ned Bennett away. He exploited the open spaces and raced away, stepping the last defender to cross for a consolation try 12-27. The scoring was rounded off when Ystrad went through some tired tackling to score their fifth try and to end the game with a well-deserved win on the road. Final score 12-34.

Wanderers Scorers

Tries: Gruff Tough, Ned Bennett

Con: Ceri Morris

Massiv MOM:  Finn Davies
Management MOM: Theo Shinton


No Replies to "Ystrad power too much for young Wanderers"