Bedwas break down battling Wanderers

Wanderers 17

Bedwas 46

“It’s tough at the moment, a lack of confidence leads to poor execution, dips in discipline and the result is another defeat. There are positives though. We believe we aren’t far from a decent performance” commented Andrew Roberts , defence coach.

“There’s no question the boys are putting the effort in but at present its not happening for them.” added Manager Mark Gould.

On a bright but grey afternoon a keenly contested contest saw Bedwas run out comfortable winners after breaking clear in the second half securing the double with a bonus point win. The early exchanges were evenly fought with both outside halves trading penalties 3-3. There was a willingness by both sides to put the ball through the hands and the visitors made the breakthrough after moving the back and forth in midfield creating a gaping hole in the Wanderers defence, thus allowing a simple run in for the loosehead prop. The try was converted 3-10. Bedwas settled into game dominating possession and territory but finding the home defence difficult to crack. As has happened too often lately the Wanderers were reduced to trying to play rugby from deep and without real accuracy the play became camped in the home side half. The visitors tried to drive several lineouts deep in the Wanderers 22 but the aggressive defence held them out. Bedwas did create chances but their own accuracy wasn’t quite on point and Dan the score-board operator wasn’t called into action for most of the half.  Both sides saw yellow after an altercation over Gatland’s back row selection but the game became deadlocked.  As time went beyond the half an hour the Wanderers struck against the run of play. Bedwas were on the attack deep in the home side 22 but the ball was turned over Tom Hughes broke away.  When thew ball was returned to the 22 Phil Pariyo carried well. The ball was taken on by Morgan Williams who raced clear and he put fullback Tommy Taylor clear for a great team try. Tom Francis converted 10-10. The half entered injury time and the home side discipline let them down. The half ended with Bedwas stretching ahead after 2 penalties and that sent the teams into the break with the visitors ahead 10-16.

The visitors came out of the blocks from the start of the second half and another penalty extended the lead to 10-19. The home side started to ring the changes early in an attempt to alter their fortunes but Bedwas improved their accuracy and finding plenty of mileage out wide right they extended the lead again with their second try 10-24. The Wanderers decided to try to pick up the pace of the game but as things loosened up the visitors were up to the task. Keeping the home side pinned in their own half Bedwas kept themselves on the front foot. Another penalty extended the lead to 10-27 effectively ending the game and with the shackles off Bedwas became more and more expansive. The home side kept up the endeavour but there was no way back as the game entered its final quarter. There was a consolation try for the home side after a driving maul was followed up with a break in midfield by Phil Pariyo who scored the Wanderers second try but Bedwas added more tries gaining their bonus point and a fifth try rounded off the scoring for the afternoon. Final score 10-46 and a well deserved victory for the Gwent side.

Wanderers scorers

Tries: Tommy Taylor, Phil Pariyo
Cons: Tom Francis (2)
Pen: Tom Francis



No Replies to "Bedwas break down battling Wanderers"