Steel tempered by nine try Wanderers

Wanderers 59

Tata Steel 3

“Great to be back on the field and gain a little confidence before a tough run of games” Commented Martyn Fowler “Our game management was as we’d want it and it allowed us to play in the right areas for a change”

“Tata’s difficulties are well documented but all credit to them they fought for the full 80 minutes” added manager Mark Gould “We played with a smile on our faces and with players coming back from injury we scored some nice tries”

“Nine tries and we left a few out there” added Cai Milsom “so still plenty to work on before we travel to Ystrad next weekend”

On a bitterly cold afternoon at the Memorial Ground the home side were straight out of the blocks. Moving the ball into midfield Tommy Taylor, starting at fullback, burst through the defence to set up the play. Moving the ball wide quickly Cameron Gibbon joined the attack and he raced away to score the first try of the afternoon. Paul Short converted 7-0. Tata responded and got themselves into the game with their first attack but the Wanderers defence was solid and after turnover ball Steffan Davies cleared the lines. A bout of aerial tennis followed and after the ball was spilled in the Wanderers half the game saw its first scrum after 8 minutes. The game ebbed and flowed and the Wanderers were indebted to hooker Joe Page who was lurking on the wing when a Tata cross field kick looked to have eluded the defence. The visitors offended at the subsequent ruck and the home side were able to establish good field position from the penalty. From the lineout Max Wootton drove for the line only to be denied as the ball went forward. The visitors scrum came under pressure on their own line and they were forced to concede a scrum 5. From the resulting scrum number 8 Tom Walsh picked up and drove over for the second try. Short converted 14-0. With their tails up the Wanderers started to dominate proceedings. Mounting more pressure Walsh went again from a scrum deep in Tata territory only to be denied by dogged defence. Once held up the ball was recycled and when moved wide Morgan Williams was on hand to crash over for the third try. Short converted again 21-0. The game became a little scrappy with the Wanderers guilty of a little white line fever when on the attack. Both sides struggled to handle the ball with any accuracy at times but the Wanderers forwards were gaining in confidence. From a lineout deep in Tata territory an initial drive was halted but Gareth Reid broke away and powered his way over from close range to score the bonus point try 28-0. The score was nearly repeated soon afterwards after a good lineout drive from 25 metres out was rounded off when Joe Page emerged from the maul to score the 5th try 33-0. The visitors revived themselves as the half drew to a close and they had a period of pressure and they were finally rewarded for the efforts with a penalty on the stroke of half time and the sides went in at 33-3.

The Wanderers made an early change in the second half with Curtis Hicks replacing Owen Hatherill and they were soon rewarded with another try. Once again Gibbon was prominent scything through the defence and when the ball was recycled it was moved wide allowing Taylor the easiest of run ins for his first Wanderers try 38-3. Any idea that the flood gates might open were soon dispelled as Tata had a decent period of possession. Having brought on a series of subs they mounted a series of attacks stretching the Wanderers defence to its limit. In response the home side emptied its own bench bringing on plenty of fresh legs. From a good nudge at a defensive scrum the ball went loose and Davies picked up and raced clear. It seemed there was a certain try on but Davies hit the hidden quicksand placed by the groundsman and the ball went loose allowing Tata to clear. The game once again became a little scrappy as both sides saw their structure get a little ragged. The darkness and gloom started to descend on the Memorial ground. With time starting to run out the Wanderers finally broke clear of the deadlock. Gibbon grabbed his second try to make it 45-3 and as injury time loomed Alfie Llewellyn drove over from close quarters to add the 8th try. Short added both conversions. The scoring was rounded off by Morgan Williams who, despite several attackers hanging on to his shirt tails, forced his way over for the final score of the game. Full Time 59-3.


Wanderers scorers

Tries: Cameron Gibbon (2), Morgan Williams (2), Tommy Walsh, Gareth Reid, Tommy Taylor, Joe Page, Alfie Llewellyn

Cons: Paul Short (7)

Management Man of the match: Paul Short

Massiv Man of the Match: Gareth Reid

Match Pics







No Replies to "Steel tempered by nine try Wanderers"