Narberth far too strong for Young Wanderers

Wanderers 17

Narberth 50

“We cannot hide the fact that we were well beaten today but there is so much potential in this squad we will not be disheartened.” Commented head coach Martyn Fowler “3 of the pack are just 18 with a handful of senior games under their belts, the backline were once again new to each other. Our policy of trying to make players ready to play at a higher level will continue and we have to accept that these results will have to be faced along the way.”

“One thing you cannot put into a player is heart and desire” added backs coach Darren Gibbon “31-0 down at half time they came out battling and stuck to it for the full 80 minutes. They could have easily thrown in the towel but they kept going to the end.”

On a bright afternoon at the Memorial ground the dye was set from the start. Failing to take the kick off Narberth were gifted their first try of the afternoon with only a minute on the clock 0-7. This was followed 2 minutes later with their second try when a scrum near the Wanderers line was destroyed by the visitors 8 and Narberth crashed over to lead 0-14. The shell-shocked home side struggled to get into the game and they were having trouble dealing with the slick handling and movement on the ball from the visitors. A third try came soon afterwards before the game had reached 20 mins and at 0-21 the game already looked beyond the home side. There was occasional cheer for the Wanderers faithful as they showed some quality phase play but poor handling and a well organised disciplined defence prevented any scores. The home side were forced into 2 early changes with injuries to Jack James and Lloyd James but the pressure was unrelenting. A penalty extended Narberth’s lead to 0-24. As the half continued more scores seemed inevitable but the home side dug deep showing decent spirit and commitment to keep a slick and rampaging Narberth from more tries. A bonus point try was secured before the break and the relief of the half time whistle was obvious as the home side had a chance to recharge for the second half. HT 0-31.

The second half started with another Wanderers change as Ryan Matthew was forced from the field after a clash of heads, Emyr Jones entering the fray. The home side then finally gave the Wanderers faithful something to cheer. Alfie Llewellyn stole a lineout and he charged off down the field. He was brought down in the Narberth 22 and Gruff Tough then put in a cross-field kick. This was gathered by top try scorer Jamie Murray who jogged in for the first Wanderers score of the day. Tough converted 7-31. There was certainly more purpose in the home side but with the scrum under constant pressure possession was limited. A series of close quarter trundles added a fifth Narberth try and then a quality move from a lineout extended the lead 7 -43. The home side then had a little period of pressure with Jones and Llewellyn both prominent in attack. From a move of several phase in the opposition 22 the ball was thrown wide and hooker Morgan Hughes juggled the ball and crashed over for his first try for the club, in only his second appearance 12-43. The game entered its final quarter and Narberth rounded their scoring off for the afternoon with another try taking the score to 50 before with the penultimate play of the game, another charge by Jones set up an attack which was rounded off by Tom Richards. Final score a well deserved win for a very good Narberth side 17-50.

Wanderer’s scorers

Tries: Jamie Murray, Morgan Hughes, Tom Richards

Cons: Gruff Tough

Management MOM: Cameron Gibbon
Massiv MOM: Alfie Llewellyn


No Replies to "Narberth far too strong for Young Wanderers"