Wanderers hang on for welcome win

Wanderers 12

Trebanos 10

Asked by a supporter before the game as to when we were going to paint the posts the reply from “100 job” Humphreys was “we keep them that way to put off the opposition kickers!” I rest my case!!!!!!

“Credit to the tenacity of the injury hit Trebanos side. Under the cosh for so long especially behind a retreating scrum they defended so well and nearly snatched the draw at the end” commented Rugby Chairman Tony Murphy.

“For those with long enough memories we won the same fixture 12-10 last time Trebanos visited. A game which we should have put to bed in the first 40 and we were left hanging on at the death!” added Chairman John Lyons.

“The move to passive scrums certainly did us no favours but we must be more clinical in attack” commented back coach Darren Gibbon. “Today though was all about getting a W in the wins and losses column and we achieved that”

On a grey afternoon the sides were met with a heavy drizzle and strong wind on a greasy surface that became heavier as the game went on, but despite that both sides tried their best to play rugby. The Wanderers were able to use the strong breeze on their back to obtain good field position but an early chance after a 5 metre lineout was squandered by players off their feet at a ruck. Another chance followed soon afterwards when Josh Male found himself in space and he set off for the line. As the cover defence appeared the chance was again squandered inside the visitor’s 22 and Trebanos were able to clear their lines. The home side scrum was clearly dominant from the outset with the front row of Drakes and James giving their opposite numbers a really tough time and it was no surprise when a scrum near the visitors 22 was driven over and the referee awarded a penalty try 7-0. The visitors, despite their best efforts, were finding it difficult to put the home side under any real pressure with the elements clearly in the home side favour. Once again good field position was established and a scrum near the Trebanos line led to the second try. The Wanderers clearly went for the shove but the visitors remained solid so Zak Fifield released his backs. A neat run around by Cavan Slade, who then flung out a long looping pass that seemed to take an age to get to wing Will Adams Jones gave the winger just enough room to brush aside the cover defence and he crashed over for the second try 12-0. The half entered its final 15 minutes and Trebanos started to find their feet. A couple of driving lineouts followed by several phases of play put the Wanderers under pressure. A penalty allowed the visitors to maintain the pressure. From another series of close quarter drives they finally opened their account with a try 12-5. The rain started to ease for the final minutes of the half and the Wanderers went back on the attack but could not improve the scoreboard and the sides went into the break at 12-5.

The second half began with a sustained bout of Wanderers pressure keeping the visitors pinned in their half with the scrum providing a series of penalties. The Trebanos defence was stretched to the limit but they battled hard causing the home side twice to spill the ball when a chance arose. A good counter from Adams Jones created another chance but once again the defence was up to the task and could not be breached. The visitors started to ring the changes but the pressure continued. Male went close and captain Gibbon also had a chance. The home side created plenty but the Trebanos defence was sound throughout and you sensed as the game went on a chance to take the game might come the visitor’s way. The balance of pressure was then levelled out when an injury to the Trebanos tighthead resulted in the rest of the game being played with passive scrums and it did give the visitors some easy ball with which to clear their lines. The game headed into its final quarter and there appeared to be a new lease of life for the visitors. The Wanderers started to fall foul of the official and that included head coach Martyn Fowler who was ordered to stand behind the barrier, possibly because the now sunnier afternoon was reflecting off his head and causing the referee some visual difficulties. The game looked more and more like a draw looming as the penalty rose and the home side and the Wanderers were forced into more and more desperate defence. Brendon Lampitt took a yellow for the team as the penalty count continued to climb and with the last play of the game a tap penalty was forced over for the visitors to leave them with a conversion to draw the match. Unfortunately, with the onrushing Wanderers to contend with the conversion rebounded off the upright and bounced clear to a resounding sigh of relief from the home side faithful. Final score 12-10.

Wanderers’ scorers

Tries: Penalty try, Will Adams Jones

Management MOM: Max Wootton
Massiv MOM; Brendon Lampitt

Match Pics https://flic.kr/ps/c7gzd






No Replies to "Wanderers hang on for welcome win"