Wanderers buried at Bedwas

Bedwas 54

Wanderers 5

“We knew there would be dark times in this league with so many good sides to play and this is one of those” Commented Martyn Fowler “We know that if you don’t perform, sides as good as Bedwas, who are chasing promotion will put you to the sword and they dominated every aspect of the game. That said there is an inner strength in this group and we expect a response once they are full of turkey (nut loaf in Loxton’s case)!”

It was a grey day all round at a cold blustery bridge field as Bedwas dominated from the off. Taking the play to the visitors with a willingness to spread the ball at every opportunity they piled on the pressure. Declining an early shot at goal in favour of field position a driving lineout was pulled down and the Wanderers were warned by the referee. A subsequent penalty at a scrum saw Curtis Hicks sent to the bin and Phil Pariyo was withdrawn to allow Andrew Deabreu to slot into the front row. With a man down a tough task became even more difficult and with a defender missing out wide Bedwas took full advantage crossing for their first try 7-0. The pressure continued and after another slick move the home side doubled their lead soon afterwards leaving the Wanderers searching for answers. Dominating the breakdown with and without the ball Bedwas monopolised possession and only some loose kicking by the home side backs kept the visitors interested. The Wanderers were restored to full strength but the pressure was relentless. After 30 minutes the third try came from a driving lineout and a fourth try followed by another good move giving the home side a bonus point before half time 28-0. On the stroke of the 40 minutes there was a moment to cheer for the travelling support. A first phase move in midfield saw Cameron Gibbon cut the line and he rounded the defence to register a try for the Wanderers. Half time 28-5.

The coaches gave the squad a stern talking to at the break, in an effort to galvanise proceedings but Bedwas were in no mood to take their foot off the gas. Further tries followed before the Wanderers sent for the cavalry, in an attempt to stem the flow. Visits to the home side 22 were a rarity and the visitors were hampered even more by injuries to 2 of their back row Josh Sheehan and Lloyd Pike. This meant the last quarter being played with scrum half Paul Short in the back row alongside hooker Aaron Fowler. As one would expect the game became a little more fragmented and it did allow the Wanderers some more time on the ball.  A period of pressure in the home side 22 was thwarted by a rather odd penalty against the Wanderers scrum and Bedwas rallied to end the half strongly with 2 late tries giving them a well deserved 54-5 victory serving notice to Pontypool that they are real contenders for promotion this season.

Wanderers scorers:

Try: Cameron Gibbon

Massiv man of the match:  Cameron Gibbon


No Replies to "Wanderers buried at Bedwas"