Wanderers hang on to edge out Trebanos

Wanderers 12

Trebanos 10

“Certainly used our get out of jail card today” commented manager John Lyons “we had chances in the first half to put the game out of reach but credit to Trebanos they are a good side who like to play rugby and their endeavour nearly snatched them the win”

“Despite the second half performance in which we were starved of possession we’ll take the win no matter how narrow the margin. That’s two victories against good opposition in two weeks and those 8 points are most welcome” added coach Darren Gibbon.

Before the game chairman Gerry Blake laid a wreath on the centre spot and the teams and crowd observed a minutes silence in memory of those who’ve given the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

On a surprisingly bright afternoon the home side were straight out at the blocks. Moving the ball through forwards and backs they took play deep into Trebanos territory but the defence was solid and good jackaling in defence relieved the immediate danger. Back came the Wanderers with Max Wootton prominent in attack and Anthony Cox went close only to be held up over the line. The pressure continued as the home side strove for the breakthrough and the visitors were forced into more and more desperate defence. The home side nearly took the lead when Wootton charged down a clearance kick inside the Trebanos in goal area and Cameron Gibbon pounced on the ball only for the referee to award the visitors with a 5 metre scrum. Trebanos cleared their lines but it was short lived as the Wanderers back three countered at every opportunity. A driving lineout from a penalty nearly brought the first score but once again dogged defence kept the home side at bay. After 18 minutes Trebanos finally got into the Wanderers 22 but they found the home side defence just as dogged and after a good counter ruck the Wanderers cleared back to halfway. The deadlock continued with the majority of the play with the home side. Paul Short had a chance to get the scoreboard moving with a penalty but his shot saw the ball strike the upright and bounce clear. This was followed soon afterwards with another long range chance but this attempt slipped wide of the posts keeping it at 0-0. It took a slightly bizarre incident to finally register a score. A kick from Short went into touch on the full, Trebanos tried to take a quick lineout deep in their own territory but on clearing the ball the kick was once again charged down. The ball fell to Dylan Lawley and after good recycling James Loxton took play deep. Once again the ball was moved wide and Gibbon was on hand to crash through the defence to score the opening try of the game 5-0. From the restart Trebanos responded well. Once again going through the phases they forced the Wanderers back but the home side defence was solid and they repelled the attack and cleared their lines. With time running out on the half back came the Wanderers. After the forwards had driven for the line on several occasions Short released the backs. Jake Beetham put an up an under up on the line. Gibbon and the Trebanos fullback went up for the ball and it was Gibbon who secured possession and crashed over for his second try. Short converted 12-0. On the stroke of half time Trebanos did have a chance to reduce the arrears with a penalty but the shot went wide and the sides went into the break at 12-0.

The Wanderers made two changes at the break with Anthony Cox and Chris Budgen being replaced by Callun James and Andrew Deabreu and an early home side attack was once again repulsed by good jackaling in the visitors 22. A penalty for not releasing at a ruck allowed Trebanos a chance to establish good field position something which they held on to for most of the second half. Back and forth the visitors probed the home side defence going phase after phase but the Wanderers held firm and prevented Trebanos getting back into the game. The play became camped in the Wanderers half as Trebanos started to control proceedings giving the home side little chance to relieve the onslaught.  Time and time again moves of several phases were thwarted and now it was the home side who rarely entered the opposition 22. The Wanderers faithful could sense the change in the game and with just over 10 minutes to go Trebanos got the reward for their endeavour. A good carry by number 8 Dylan Hills, who had a great afternoon, set play up and Josh Ferriman stepped the defence to score 12-5. The game took on an entirely different look as Trebanos went in search of the equalising score. Moving the ball into midfield from a lineout they flashed back blind and raced away down the right wing. The defence disappeared and they crossed for their second try. Fortunately for the home side the conversion slipped wide and the Wanderers were still ahead 12-10. The game edged into injury time and finger nails were removed as the home side support saw a win slipping away. A series of scrums on halfway seemed to go on for an age and when the referee deemed the Wanderers to be at fault there was one last chance for the Trebanos win. There was silence in the ground as the kick sailed towards the posts only to fall into the hands of Short who hoofed it into the trees to record the win for the Wanderers. Final score 12-10.

Wanderers scorers

Tries: Cameron Gibbon (2)

Cons: Paul Short


Wanderers Management man of the match: Cameron Gibbon

Massiv man of the match:  Cameron Gibbon,  Special Mention: Max Wootton


No Replies to "Wanderers hang on to edge out Trebanos"