Wanderers leave it late to snatch victory

Wanderers 21

Cambrian Welfare 18

“You’d have been fooled into thinking the league winners wore green yesterday in that first 20 minutes” commented Manager John Lyons “Cambrian look like a side on the up and they’ll be a real force in this division next season”

“Credit to the spirit in the side after an awful start they dug deep and got themselves into the game and did enough to just squeeze over the line” Added head coach Martyn Fowler “We can now take stock and start planning for the playoffs in a few weeks time”

On a bright afternoon at the Memorial Ground the early tempo was set from the kick off as the Wanderers spilled the ball and conceded an attacking scrum. Cambrian piled on the pressure and after a penalty resulted in another scrum they moved the ball wide. Recycling well they created space and raced over under the posts to open the scoring 0-7. Failing to kick the restart 10 metres the pressure came straight back on the home side and a continuing catalogue of errors only increased the Cambrian confidence. There soon followed a second try. After another attack a wide cross kick appeared to be heading for the touchline. The visitors had other ideas and a neat flick between the legs wrong footed the would be tacklers and they raced away to score 0-12. At this point the Wanderers looked all at sea and a series of penalties once again put the pressure back on the home side. From a penalty for sealing off at a ruck Cambrian added another score with a penalty and with 20 minutes gone they were 15 points to the good. Some stern words for the Wanderers from the coaches finally galvanised the home side into action and they entered the opposition 22 for the first time but the ball was spilled. The game settled more evenly and birthday boy Will Adams Jones was on the end of the first decent Wanderers attack as the home side started to warm to their task. A penalty to the Wanderers at a scrum allowed Luke Fish to give the home side good field position and after an initial drive Ryan Davis emerged from the maul to crash over to reduce the arrears 5-15. The home side were now getting into their stride and as the half entered its last 7 minutes they struck again. A good break from Michael Owen set up an attack and when Fish ran to the blindside he sent out a pass to Adams Jones who eluded the defence crossed the line and touched down under the posts. Fish converted 12-15. The tide had certainly turned and penalties started to flow in favour of the home side. On the stroke of half time another Wanderers attack resulted in a penalty in front of the posts and Fish landed the 3 points to send the sides into the break at 15-15.

The game was evenly poised as the sides began the second half. Both sides had early chances but neither side could find the telling pass to break the deadlock. Some good defence allowed Rob Weston to hack the ball through but his footballing skills were a little heavy footed and the ball went dead. Phil Pariyo had a rare chance to stretch his legs in attack, taking play deep but despite some exerted pressure the Cambrian line held firm and they continued to clear their lines. From a lineout in the visitors half it appeared that they had broken clear with an interception only to be hauled back after the referee had spotted a late no arms tackle. Fish gladly stepped up and put the Wanderers ahead for the first time 18-15. Both sides sent for their subs and the game was finely poised as it entered its final quarter. Cambrian rallied well and they had a further spell of pressure with a series of scrums and lineouts deep in the home side 22. They could not break through for a try but an offside decision allowed them to level the scores with their second penalty 18-18. The game headed for injury time and the Wanderers coaches were certainly settling for the third draw of the season but there was to be a final twist. From a scrum on the Cambrian 10 metre line the Wanderers produced their best drive of the afternoon and they were awarded a penalty wide out. Fish stepped up and calmly added the 3 points and it only remained for the home side to keep the ball for a minute after kick off. This they managed to do and the celebrations for the league title could begin in earnest. In an act of good sportsmanship Cambrian hung around on the pitch and applauded the home side as Aaron Fowler accepted the bowl from Dave Young of the WRU and the partying began!

Wanderers scorers:

Tries: Ryan Davis, Will Adams Jones

Cons: Luke Fish

Pen: Luke Fish (3)

Management man of the match: Rob Weston

Wanderers Massiv man of the match: Rob Weston





No Replies to "Wanderers leave it late to snatch victory"