Wanderers come through tough test

Wanderers 21

Dinas Powys 9

“We knew it would be tough, Dinas have some experienced players in their side and they fought hard throughout the game” commented a relieved team Manager John Lyons “The dominance of our lineout and the solidity of our young centres in defence provided the foundation for the win”

On a grey afternoon at the Memorial Ground the game started badly for the home side. Challenging the first kick off Ryan Davis went over, dislocating his knee in the process, resulting in a change with Rob Weston coming on with only a minute played. The early exchanges saw both sides feeling their way into the game with no clear chances arising. The visitors were first on the scoreboard after the Wanderers defence was caught offside at a ruck. Ben White landed the penalty 0-3. The Wanderers started to warm to their task eventually gaining a decent foothold in the opposition territory but the Dinas defence was strong. After a couple of forward drives the home side gained a penalty but declined the shot at goal for the option of a lineout deep in the visitors 22. Pounding the line with the pack the home side went close and when a penalty was awarded 5 metres out Morgan Evans took a quick tap only to be stopped in his tracks. The referee awarded another penalty and Dinas saw yellow for the first time. The penalty was then reversed after one of the Wanderers players said some thing out of turn and the visitors cleared their lines. The subsequent lineout was stolen by Josh Sheehan who dominated the set piece all afternoon and the Wanderers went back on the attack. Declining another 3-point chance the home side once again went for the lineout option and this time it paid dividends. The maul moved infield and despite the efforts of the defence Dylan Lawley forced his way over for the first try of the afternoon. Luke Fish converted 7-3. The Wanderers took further advantage of the fact that the visitors had a man in the bin to surge further ahead very soon afterwards. James Loxton and Will Adams Jones made ground out wide and when the ball was recycled Fish cross kicked for Phil Pariyo. Pariyo gathered the ball superbly and took play deep into the 22. As the defence fanned out Sheehan saw an opening and broke through the heart of a ruck to cross for the second try. Fish converted 14-3. With Dinas back to full strength they settled to their task and White reduced the arrears with his second penalty 14-6. The game ebbed and flowed with Dinas dominating the scrum and the Wanderers dominating the lineout resulting in an even contest with neither side really pressing home their advantage and the sides went into the break with no more scores.

The gloom of the day worsened as the second half began and the Wanderers continued to decline kicks at goal in favour of field position but they could not make inroads into the Dinas defence and the deadlock remained. The visitors had a chance to reduce the arrears even more with a penalty but the shot went just wide but soon afterwards another penalty arose And White added his third kick with a shot that went over off the post 14-9. With the gap narrowed Dinas had their best spell of the game and the Wanderers came under real pressure. Both sides started to invest in their benches and the Wanderers were stretched in defence but they remained resolute not giving up any try scoring opportunities. Back came the home side having weathered the storm and the pressure went back onto the visitors. Pummelling the Dinas line with concerted forward drives they tried to furnish an opening but the visitors held on. A series of penalties ensued and for once the home side decided to take the shot at goal only for Fish to send his attempt wide. As the game entered its final quarter Dinas started to attack from deep but the Wanderers midfield with young centres Josh Male and Cameron Gibbon marshalling their more experienced opponents very well held firm and time started to run out for the visitors. The final nail in the coffin was provided when a defensive kick from the Dinas 22 stayed infield. Fish sent Male on a run and he shrugged off a couple of defenders before being hauled down in the 22. The ball was recycled a couple of times and Fish sent a cross kick into the in goal area which Pariyo gathered to score the third Wanderers try. Fish converted to make the final score 21-9.

Wanderers Scorers

Tries: Dylan Lawley, Josh Sheehan, Phil Pariyo

Cons: Luke Fish (3)

Massiv Man of the Match: Rob Brookson



No Replies to "Wanderers come through tough test"