Wanderers regain League Momentum

On a gloomy but dry afternoon at the Memorial ground (named to commemorate those Wanderers who lost their lives fighting for the country) the game was proceeded by the laying of a wreath on the centre circle by chairman Gerry Blake and the sides and crowd observed a 2 minute silence in memory of the fallen. We will remember them.

“Great to get our league campaign back on track” Commented Martyn Fowler “Mind you Porth had long periods of pressure especially second half when we appeared to switch off. This is something we must address”

The visitors were out of the blocks well and an early penalty gave them the lead before the home side had settled into their stride. The Wanderers started to warm to their task and with conditions heavy underfoot and the bigger of the two packs it was clear that a driving maul was to be employed early on. A couple of penalties allowed the home side to gain a foothold deep in Porth territory and the Wanderers pounded the line with close quarter drives. A penalty advantage allowed Luke Fish to try an ambitious cross kick which nearly ended in a try but when brought back for the original offence the home side elected for another 5 metre lineout. This time the drive was a concerted one and Ryan Davis was on hand to crash over for the opening try. Fish converted 7-3. The Wanderers were now gaining momentum and Fish had a chance to extend the lead with a penalty but his shot narrowly went wide. At this point Porth were only showing glimpses of what they are capable of and when they lost the ball in Wanderers territory the home side struck. The ball was moved into midfield and Josh Male made a break into the visitor’s territory. When eventually he was surrounded he fed Will Adams Jones who brushed off a couple of would-be tacklers to cross in the corner. Fish added the extra two from the touchline to make if 14-3. The game ebbed and flowed back and forth with both sides showing good handling despite the conditions. The Wanderers were forced into an early change when Max Wootton hurt a shoulder to be replaced by Mike Owen. The pressure continued on the visitors with Cameron Gibbon and centre partner Male prominent in attack and defence.  Another good advance using forwards and backs set up a scrum 5 metres out and when the ball went wide Max Cunnington came off the blindside wing to send a superb cut out pass out to Adams Jones who forced his way over for his second try. Fish converted to send the sides into the break at 21-3.

The second half was greeted with a little sunshine and with the warmth Porth upped their game. The started to show the form that had taken them to 3rd in the league. Despite that the Wanderers defence was solid and the drier conditions allowed the home side backs to attack from deeper positions. Despite having less of the game at the start of the half the home side went further ahead. Male attacked from deep and he set Cunnington away. As the cover defence came across he kicked ahead and as the Porth defender gathered the ball on his own line Owen was up in support to rip the ball free and crash over for the bonus point try 26-3. Despite the scoreboard suggesting a defeat the visitors now had their best spell of the game. A chip from Fish was gathered on the halfway line and the Wanderers were parted like the Red Sea as the Porth wing raced away to score a superb solo try 26-10. With their confidence flowing back Porth looked more assured with ball in hand and the Wanderers came under pressure. A second try reduced the arrears even more 26-17 and the Wanderers faithful (those who hadn’t left early to go drinking before the international!) became a little twitchy. The coaches sent on fresh legs to steady the ship and the nerves were eased when another driving maul resulted in a midfield penalty which Fish kicked to make it 29-17. The game entered its final quarter and the game was finally put to bed when off the top ball from a lineout saw Male put Gibbon away in midfield and the young centre raced away, rounding the defence to score under the posts. Fish converted 36-17. Porth once again rallied well but there was to be no more scoring and the final whistle arrived with the Wanderers winning 36-17.

Wanderers scorers:

Tries: Ryan Davis, Will Adams Jones (2), Mike Owen, Cameron Gibbon,

Cons: Luke Fish (4)

Pens: Luke Fish

Massiv man of the match: Ryan Davis


No Replies to "Wanderers regain League Momentum"