Wanderers bonus point win puts them on top



“Both sides found the surface a little difficult not being used to an all-weather pitch but despite the conditions we managed some really good tries” commented Chris Dowell Bennett after the Wanderers win.

“Great to see Haval back enjoying his rugby, his revival and the return to fitness of Max Wootten will serve us very well on the tough run in to the end of the season” added Martyn Fowler

On a day that saw most games cancelled due to the weather the decision to move the game to the all-weather surface at Leckwith proved correct as the Wanderers scored 5 tries in the win. Into the wind and rain in the first half the home side began brightly. From the first scrum of the game outside half Luke Fish scythed through the defence and broke downfield. The attack was halted just inside the Porth 22 but good recycling kept the momentum and after driving close to the line Aaron Fowler picked up and drove over for the first score 5-0. The visitors responded well from the kick off they established good field position but the Wanderers defence held their attack. With both sides finding the wet ball and surface difficult the game was littered with handling errors. Porth opened their account after a penalty at a ruck gave them a shot at goal and the game ebbed and flowed with neither side really creating anything concrete. The Wanderers edged further ahead with their second try which came out of the blue. Porth attacked kicking deep into the home side territory but the bounce of the ball was kind to fullback James Loxton. He stepped the oncoming tacklers, fed Phillip Pariyo who set off downfield.  As the cover defence rushed across he sent the ball inside to supporting Cameron Gibbon who raced away to score. Fish converted 12-3. The Wanderers started to warm to their task and Rob Weston went close after some close quarter drives and Gibbon should have put Pariyo in for a try, only to see his pass go straight into touch. Porth came back well and after Fowler was yellow carded for a high tackle their second penalty reduced the arrears to 12-6. Despite their possession the visitors struggled to penetrate the home side defence and with props Joe Russell and Haval Ibrahim prominent with ball in hand the Porth defence was forced into making plenty of tackles. The error count from both sides continued and the sides went into the break at 12-6.

A penalty from the second half kick off gave the Wanderers good field position but despite going several phases the decisive play or pass eluded them as the Porth defence held firm. The visitors continued to have ample possession themselves but they continued to find the wall of defenders hard to break down. The Wanderers scrum had a period of dominance and from a scrum penalty the home side elected for the lineout deep in the Porth 22. The pack got a little nudge going and then the ball was released to the backs. A neat move with 2 dummy runners saw Andy Evans time his run to perfection and the pin point pass sent him in under the posts. Fish converted 19-6. The home side sent on all the cavalry and for a period the visitors scrum had a period of dominance of their own. Porth put the home side under pressure and for 10-15 minutes the home side struggled to get their hand on the ball. The tackle count rose as the Wanderers were forced into some scrambled defence but they held firm. Eventually a spilled ball gave the home side a scrum in their own 22. The crowd expected to see Fish launch the ball downfield to ease the pressure but he had other ideas. A neat chip over the onrushing defence was gathered by Gibbon who set off downfield. He carried to the 22 and with Morgan Louch in support they put Rob Evans, on as a sub, in for the bonus point try.

Fish converted 26-6. Porth continued to battle despite a losing cause and with ball in hand they made the Wanderers work for every yard and possession.  The wet ball was still an issue for both sides and when the home side turned the ball over whilst Porth were on the attack Rob Evans took full advantage. Jinking and stepping through the defence he broke clear and once through raced away to canter in from 30 metres. Fish converted 33-6 to put the game out of Porth’s reach. Despite that the visitors never gave up. In the final minutes they pounded the Wanderers line and they were rewarded with a consolation converted try to end the game. Final score 33-13.

Wanderers scorers:

Tries: Aaron Fowler, Andy Evans, Cameron Gibbon, Rob Evans (2)

Cons: Luke Fish (4)

Massiv man of the match: HAVAL IBRAHIM







No Replies to "Wanderers bonus point win puts them on top"