"Weeman" shines through the wet

By Alyn Humphries | 28/09/2017

Rumney 3

Wanderers 24

On a wet and windy night at Riverside Park the Wanderers progressed to the next round of the Mallett Cup with a good win over local league rivals Rumney RFC.

“Both sides gave their squads a work out and it was pleasing to see plenty of our young talent showing up well” commented Martyn Fowler “Obviously the early dismissals influenced the game but in tough conditions we were really pleased.”

The rain clearly had an effect on the crowd but those who turned up were entertained in wet conditions. Both sides began cautiously with the wet ball, but the game was rocked after about 10 minutes when both packs (and a few backs) squared up to each other in a free for all. The referee was clearly in no mind to tolerate such poor behaviour and after some discussion he brandished 3 red cards, 2 for Rumney and 1 for the Wanderers. This clearly had the desired effect as the game, from that point on, was played in a good spirit with no one silly enough to overstep the mark again. Rumney got the scoreboard moving first with a penalty but the visitors hit back with a well worked try from Tom Penri Ellis. Started by a break from Ben “Weeman” McStay followed by good support from James Loxton the Wanderers breached the defence and Penri Ellis was on hand to take the scoring past. Luke Fish converted 3-7. With the man advantage the visitors started to exert an ascendancy and the home side were reduced to scraps of possession. Despite the good field position and plenty of the ball to play with the Wanderers struggled to extend their lead as often someone chose a wrong option or tried to force the play in poor conditions. The Rumney defence was solid and they battled to the break still in the game at 3-7.

In the second half the Wanderers continued to hold the majority of possession and territory but the game was keenly contested and both sides found scores hard to come by. The conditions dictated play and the Wanderers back three of Weeman, Duracell and Lloyd James all showed up well, looking dangerous with ball in hand. Fish added a penalty 3-10, before the back three were back in action. A break from Duracell Adams Jones took play deep and the Weeman was on hand, now showing his versatility by playing in the back row, to burst clear to score the Wanderers second try. Fish converted 3-17. As conditions deteriorated again the ball became harder to handle and both sides went aerial with their attacks. The scoring was rounded off for the night when the visitors added a third try from replacement wing Emile Nuh. Fish landed his third conversion to make the final score 3-24 seeing the Wanderers through to the next round.

Wanderers scorers

Tries: Ben McStay, Tom Penri Ellis, Emile Nuh

Cons: Luke Fish (3)

Pens: Luke Fish  

Massiv man of the match: Ben McStay

Latest News

Wanderers 1st XV fixtures season 17-18
Wanderers Minis & Juniors
Function room for hire