Cardiff HSOB
2015/2016 Swalec League Division 1 East Central
Cardiff HSOB 14 v 23 Wanderers
19 September 2015
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Wanderers limp to 3rd win of season



“I think the early season sunshine brought out an end of season attitude in the team” commented head coach Mike Sheehan “We squandered so much with silly attempted offloads when a little control was needed. In saying that the players responded well when we went behind and they dealt with a Quins side that battled right until the end”

In Bright sunshine at the Diamond ground the Wanderers began brightly. Moving the ball well the home side came under immediate pressure but the dye was set for the visitors as the first of many attempted miracle passes went astray. With a clear dominance the Wanderers lacked control and their dominance of possession failed to materialise anything. Eventually the Wands got the scoreboard moving. Tom Driver went close after an attack down the left wing and that set up a series of scrums. Penalties followed as the home side desperately tried to stem the flow but the referee had little choice in the end but to award a penalty try as a score was inevitable. Luke Fish converted 0-7. The Quins responded well with their first decent attack they put the Wanderers line under pressure but a drop goal attempt went wide. The Wanderers then broke out of defence but once again 2 attacks were stopped by poor control with ball in hand.  The game was becoming more and more disjointed which seemed to suit the home side with their all action style. They levelled the game up after a loose ball in the Wanderers defence was hacked through and gathered setting their backs away the try was converted and it was all square at 7-7. The open style continued for the rest of the half with the Wanderers dominating the chances only to see the dogged defence of the Quins and some more loose offloads and ill-discipline in attack thwart the visitors. It seemed that the sides would go into the break at 7-7 but once again the Wanderers scrum galvanised an opportunity. Driving the home side back on the stroke of 40 minutes they were awarded a penalty and Fish stepped up to send the sides in at the break at 7-10.

The first attack of the half fell to the Wanderers but once again poor control stopped their effort. The game became scrappier and scrappier and the Wanderers started to see a series of injuries. First to go was Aaron Canter, replaced by Will Higgins. Higgins made an immediate impact stealing a lineout but the Wanderers still failed to get any control on the game. The home side had a chance to level it up with a penalty attempt but the shot went wide. Codey Rees then took on the kicking duties for the Wanderers after Fish had left the field and he landed a long range penalty to increase the lead to 7-13. The Quins side continued to fight for every possession and as the Wanderers substitutions and poor control continued they sensed a chance to get back into the game. The Quins had their best spell of the game and they looked dangerous with ball in hand. Fortunately the visitors defence was solid and they scrambled for everything in order the keep the home side at bay. As the game entered its final quarter the Wanderers injury count increased and so did the confidence of the home side. With a series of scrums on the Wanderers line they exerted pressure and Joe Russell was awarded a yellow card for a scrum offence. With a man down the Quins took advantage and they claimed a penalty try of their own. With the conversion added they were ahead 14-13. The score certainly gave the visitors a big wake-up call and for the next 7 or 8 minutes they played with a sense of control. Retrieving the kick off they set up play in the Quins half and after several phases Rees dropped a goal to put the Wanderers back in front 14-16. The winning score then followed. From the kick off again they attacked downfield and a penalty offence allowed Rees to put the ball deep in home side territory. The ensuing lineout saw a controlled drive from the Wanderers pack and Ryan Davies was last up with ball as the visitors crashed over. Rees converted 14-23. With the game now won the final minutes were played out with the home side on the attack. The Wanderers lost Olly Randall with a leg injury and it was difficult to see how many Wanderers players were left on the field as all subs had been used up and players seemed to be hobbling on and off at every breakdown. Despite the confusion the Wanderers defence scrambled and fought hard to keep the home side at bay and record their third victory of the season. Final score 14-23.

Wanderers Massiv man of the match:  Ryan Davies

Wanderers scorers

Tries: penalty try, Ryan Davies

Cons: Luke Fish, Codey Rees

Pens: Luke:  Fish, Codey Rees

Drop Goal: Codey Rees


Cardiff Quins scorers

Tries: Penalty try, Jack Alwood

Cons: Spencer Lumby (2)