2012/2013 SWALEC National Championship
Narberth 18 v 12 Wanderers
13 April 2013 - Lewis Lloyd Ground, Narberth
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Wanderers efforts come up short



“I think the official had more influence on the result than he or either side would have liked” commented manager Luke Burton “It’s made our survival even more difficult”

“You cannot fault our effort unfortunately our execution at times still lets us down” added coach Gareth Cull.

On a cold wet afternoon in West Wales the Wanderers began brightly. From a lineout on halfway Tim Cronin broke downfield. He found support from Haval Ibrahim who trundled towards the line. Unfortunately as he crashed over he was deemed to have been held up by a superb cover tackle and the chance went begging. The visitors did however take the lead. Following another attack Narbeth were caught killing a ruck and Ianto Griffiths stepped up to open the scoring 0-3. Despite being against the wind the visitors continued to look dangerous in attack as the home side struggled to find their feet. Narbeth levelled the score with a penalty but the Wanderers had another superb chance to score when Mike Stephens went clear only to spill the ball just short of the line.  The conditions started to take their toll and the Otters were able to pin the wanderers back in their own half but the visitors defence was solid and Narbeth were unable to break the deadlock. After a spell of pressure the home side went ahead with their second penalty 6-3 and then came one of the crucial moments of the game. A defensive kick from the Wanderers was superbly taken by the home side 10 on the run. He kicked deep and despite what appeared to be a clear offside the referee allowed the chasing runner to follow up and touch down for the first try of the game 11-3. The Wanderers were stung into action and Owen Marshall was denied a try by a forward pass soon afterwards after a break by Charlie Johnson. As half time approached Griffiths did land his second penalty after an attack that saw Narbeth receive a yellow card and that sent the teams into the changing rooms at 11-6.

With the elements in their favour the visitors were straight back on the attack. Narbeth were forced into some desperate defence and from another killed ruck Griffiths landed his third penalty to reduce the arrears to 11-9. The game was in the balance but despite having the wind in their favour the visitors were guilty of poor execution when kicking from hand and gradually Narbeth regained their composure. From a penalty given away by the visitors the home side kicked for the corner to set up the decisive score of the game. From a driving lineout the Otters broke into midfield and crashed over besides the posts for a converted try 18-9. The Wanderers were now chasing the game with a win the only real result that would help their survival cause. Despite having plenty of time in the game the visitors could not execute any decisive attacks and the home side defence remained solid despite the onslaught. Griffiths did have a couple of chance to reduce the arrears but his penalty shots went wide and as time started to run out the Wanderers attacks became disjointed. It became clear that a win was beyond the visitors and they set about salvaging the losing bonus point. The visiting forwards pounded the Otters line but they could not find the drive that would result in a try. With time running out they tried and tried to cross the line but there was no way through despite the issuing of yellow cards to the home side. Eventually time ran out and Griffiths was left with a penalty shot to secure the losing bonus point leaving the Wanderers 8 points adrift with only 5 games left.