2012/2013 SWALEC National Championship
Bargoed 21 v 17 Wanderers
10 April 2013 - Bargoed Park, Bargoed
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Wanderers give Bargoed real scare

Bargoed 21

Glamorgan Wanderers 17

“Unbelievable belief and strength of character. Earlier this season we would have shipped 50 points after that start” commented a proud coach Matthew Bolton

“”There was only one side praying for the final whistle tonight despite the weather!” added Captain Alex Luff.

On a wet night at Bargoed Park the home side came out of the blocks at 100mph. Going through the phases at pace the Wanderers were stretched from the off and it was no surprise that from a lineout move in midfield Bargoed sliced through a grand canyon sized hole to score under the posts, 7-0. With many of the visitors looking like they had stayed on the bus the home side extended the lead almost immediately after a kick downfield was poorly handled and Bargoed were handed their second try, 14-0. The Wanderers faithful were fearing the worst and in keeping with the fact that Glamorgan had started their season a cricket score looked on the cards. From a lineout on the Wanderers five metre line a splendid dummy opened another gaping hole and before the crowd had settled it was 21-0. Possibly thinking it was going to be an easy night the home side eased the pace of the game and it allowed the Wanderers to take stock and regroup. Realising that Bargoed were not committing many to defensive rucks the visitors started to employ close quarter driving. Putting real pressure on the home side line they pounded away at the line only to find the Bargoed defence extremely strong. The game started to flow despite the poor conditions and when the sides went into the break the Wanderers were having far more of the play and they had stopped the scoreboard moving.

Half time 21-0

Whatever was said at halftime it certainly galvanised the Wanderers. Keeping play in the home side half and with Bargoed finding no defence against the close quarter driving the visitors started to gain in confidence despite the score-line. The home side had difficulty in clearing their lines and the Wanderers got themselves on the scoreboard when a loose pass landed in Ed Doe’s arms and he raced away to score in the corner, 21-5. All of a sudden the game took on a totally different complexion. It was the home side who looked short of ideas and with the Wanderers backs kicking to the corners well, the pressure mounted. From a set piece deep in Bargoed territory more close quarter driving saw Dave Ellis crash over to reduce the arrears even more 21-10. The visitors were now in search of a losing bonus point and the home side chances of gaining a fourth try bonus point seemed to ebb away. Alex Luff went on a gallop downfield after an interception and with time just about up a lineout drive saw Steff Simpson crash over. Griffiths converted and the Wanderers left Bargoed feeling pleased with their salvaged bonus point but wishing the game had gone on another 2 or 3 minutes! Final score 21-17.  

 Pics :