Glamorgan Wanderers
2012/2013 SWALEC National Championship
Wanderers 20 v 20 Whitland
29 September 2012 - Memorial Ground, Ely, Cardiff

Match Report

Wanderers worries continue

Wanderers 20

Whitland 20

“Difficult to find the positives this week” commented a disappointed coach Gareth Cull “Whitland dominated possession and territory yet we should have won”

“It appears that what goes on during the week is forgotten come Saturday!” added manager Luke Burton

This bottom of the table clash gave the Wanderers and Whitland a chance to kick start their season but both sides failed to ignite any sparks. The dye was set early on, the visitors dominated possession and territory and the Wanderers were forced into living off scraps. The majority of the game was camped in the Wanderers half but despite their dominance Whitland showed little in the way of flair and rarely threatened to score. Scott Newton landed an early penalty to put them 0-3 ahead but it was the Wanderers who registered the first try. From another Whitland attack easily dealt with by the home side midfield, turnover ball gave the Wanderers a chance. Rhys Jenkins found himself on the wing and after a wonderful dummy accepted by all the Whitland defence he fed inside to the oncoming backs. Lloyd Chalke was up in support to run in from 30 metres to register the first try. Owen Thomas converted 7-3. The game returned to the pattern of Whitland on the attack and the home side practicing their tackling. Another rare home side attack with Chalke to the fore again gained the Wanderers a penalty which Thomas converted 10-3 but once again Whitland forced the home side back into their own half. Just before the break the visitors turned ball over when the Wanderers tried to attack from deep and at last they found a way through out wide. Tomi Jones ran in from 30 metres to score and Newton converted to put the sides in at the break 10-10.

The crowd continued to absorb the sunshine which was one of the few positives but the pattern of the game didn’t change. The Whitland pack dominated the ball and gained ground around rucks and mauls but there was little expansive play on show. The Wanderers showed that they did have the flair to break the visitors down but decided to keep it hidden away for a rainy day? With defences on top the crowd wondered about where the next score would come from and then a bouncing ball in midfield seemed to confuse the visitors defence and the Wanderers broke clear. After some decent support play Owen Marshall crashed over in the corner to score 15-10. It was not long before Whitland responded. Keeping it tight they went on a series of drives from a lineout and prop Rhodri West crossed for a try which Newton converted 15-17. At his point either side could have gone on to win the game but nobody seemed able to grab the advantage when on offer. The Wanderers went ahead again after a great counter attack from Mike Stephens took play into the visitors 22 and when the ball was recycled Josh Jacas went over in the corner, but Whitland levelled with a penalty from Newton and at 20-20 both sides seemed resigned to sharing the points. The home side had one last chance to win the game late on when a neat move in midfield put Ed Doe through. It seemed that a score was inevitable but panic set in when the line came close and Whitland cleared ruck ball to save the day. The game ended with Whitland on the attack again but when the Wanderers gained a penalty the home side decided the ball was better off in the local retirement home than on the pitch and everyone retired to the bar!        

pics at: