2012/2013 SWALEC National Championship
Bonymaen 16 v 13 Wanderers
22 September 2012 - Parc Mawr, Bonymaen
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Wanderers squander chances at Bonymaen



“At this level if chances come along you must take them otherwise you pay for it. Hence the defeat today” said a disappointed coach Gareth Cull after the defeat at Bonymaen.

“Those seeing the score-line may think more of our performance than they should” added a similarly disappointed captain Alex Luff

“La* ** ** ** ** ** *****La, ***, *****,*****, ****,****d” commented prop Haval Ibrahim (his words have been censored to avoid offending small children and pets)

On a lovely sunny afternoon at Bonymaen the home side had first use of the elements but it was the visitors who began brightly. Turning ball over in their own half MIke Smith broke downfield but despite taking play deep into the home side 22 the Wanderers failed to convert the chance and Bonymaen cleared.  Behind a strong scrum the visitor’s midfield had plenty of early licence to run but despite good work by Smith and Lloyd Chalke when chances were created poor execution in the opposition 22 failed to produce a score.  The game ebbed and flowed with both sides striving for a breakthrough but all too often the attacks broke down. The Wanderers were forced into 2 early changes with the promising Smith and prop Rhys Jenkins having to leave the field with injuries but the visitor’s scrum remained strong and following another good drive the home side were forced offside and Ianto Griffiths stepped up to break the deadlock 0-3. Bonymaen hit back almost immediately. When Griffiths was caught in possession a penalty allowed the home side outside half Ian Brookes a chance to level the scores 3-3. As the half drew to a close the home side gained some ascendancy and as often happens with the Wanderers points were conceded just before the break. A blindside break found the defence missing and despite scrambling back well the visitors could not deny the home side a try. Brookes converted 10-3. Straight from the kick off Bonymaen were on the attack again and only desperate defence prevented another score. As the half closed Brookes added a second penalty to send the sides in at 13-3.     

Despite the use of the slope and elements it was the home side that had the better of the early exchanges in the second half. Both outside halves had penalty chances go wide but the majority of the game was being played out between the 22s. Eventually the Wanderers did get a chance following a penalty offence and Griffiths reduced the arrears to 13-6. Back came Bonymaen and showing some slick handling they started to find holes in the Wanderers midfield. The game appeared to be swinging the home side way but a stroke of luck turned the balance. When a ball was dropped in the Wanderers half a hack through and kick chase took play to the home side line and when the ball was recycled Charlie Johnson crashed over in the corner. Griffiths landed a superb conversion from the touchline and the visitors were back in it at 13-13. Now it was the Wanderers who looked like taking the points but once again poor finishing, lack of patience in attack and some ill discipline at rucks cost them dear. Bonymaen sneaked ahead with another Brooke’s penalty but the visitors still had chances to take the win. A break through the defence by Chalke was defeated when Johnson deployed his slow down parachute too early and on more than one occasion Wanderers backs were clear, only to lack the confidence to back themselves to score. In the dying seconds the visitors had a long range penalty shot from Griffiths `to grab as draw but the ball fell just short and the home side took the points and left the visitors going home frustrated. Final score Bonymaen 16 Wanderers 13.

                                               pics at: