Glamorgan Wanderers
2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Wanderers 10 v 14 Aberavon
14 March 2008 - Memorial Ground, Ely, Cardiff

Match Report

Wanderers 10 Aberavon 14

Wanderers second rows Gareth Knight(left) and Alex Luff(right) challenge the Aberavon Lineout
Photographer: Alyn Humphreys

Glamorgan Wanderers 10

Aberavon 14


“At this rate we’ll need to print some extra P45’s” commented Deputy Director of rugby Paul Prickett after a number of players failed to deliver performances once again. 

On a dismal damp evening at the Memorial ground the Wanderers failed to raise the spirits as they slumped to another home defeat. From the first kick off the home side were under pressure as they presented early opportunities to the visitors. The wizards took the ball into the Wanderers 22 and a ruck offence gave the visitors the best of starts as Jamie Davies opened the scoring with a penalty. The Wanderers failed to relieve the pressure and after 10 minutes a penalty at a scrum allowed Davies to increase the lead to 0-6. Eventually the home side got some possession and started to gain territory. A series of drives were stopped after an accidental offside but Aberavon were soon caught offending at a ruck and James Thatcher reduced the arrears to 3-6. From the kick off the home side were again caught for killing the ball and Davies extended the lead to 3-9. The Wanderers responded with their best period of the match. The forwards started to take the game to the visitors and Aberavon were reduced to illegal attempts to stop the game flowing. After several penalty offences the referee finally lost patience with the visitors and within the space of 7 minutes Aberavon had 2 men in the sin bin for killing the ball at rucks. The Wanderers took their chance and with the numerical advantage of two men in the pack the home side forwards drove from a lineout and Gareth Knight crashed over to score the first try of the game. James Thatcher converted from the touchline and the Wanderers were in front 10-9. The home side continued to create pressure with the forwards exploiting the wet conditions but the Wizards defence held firm and the Wanderers took the one point lead into the break.

The second half saw Aberavon take control of the ball. Their pack was gaining ascendancy and despite all the Wanderers efforts in defence poor clearance kicking allowed the wizards to keep the pressure on. After 15 minutes the home side defence was breached as Jamie Davies found a gaping hole in the line and he fed wing Jonathan Childs who crashed over to give the visitors back the lead 10-14. The Aberavon side were in control but they could not put the game out of sight. The Wanderers began to ring the changes bringing five fresh sets of legs into the pack in an attempt to bring about a victory but opportunities in the Aberavon half were few and far between. A rare drive by Richard Thomas gave the Wanderers good field position and a chip ahead by Gareth Williams Davies set up a kick and chase for Jamie Jones. Unfortunately the ball bobbled over the dead ball line before being grounded and Aberavon cleared the danger. As the game entered the dying minutes both sides had chances but the defences and conditions prevented any further scores. There was one last attack from deep by the Wanderers but a knock on ended the move and Aberavon came away with a deserved victory 10-14.     


Author: Alyn Humphreys 

Official : Wayne Davies (Wales)

Wanderers Aberavon