2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Llanelli 9 v 3 Wanderers
08 February 2008 - Stradey Park, Llanelli
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Llanelli 9 Wanderers 3

Keith Stewart takes a lineout ball in the game v Llanelli
Photographer: Alyn Humphreys

Llanelli 9

Glamorgan Wanderers 3


“Like an end of season game with nothing on it” commented various onlookers as Llanelli secured a victory in a mistake ridden game littered with numerous handling errors.

Both sides began by showing their willingness to put the ball through the hands and the Wanderers were first on the attack after Ricky T chipped ahead and took play into the Llanelli half. The early play moved swiftly between the 22’s with James Loxton and Aled James making breaks for the visitors but turnover ball allowed Llanelli to counter with attacks of their own. After 10 minutes the home side opened the scoring after the Wanderers were caught in possession in their own half. Ceiron Thomas slotted over the penalty. Both sides were endeavouring to break down each others defensive line but poor execution often resulted in ball being lost. After 17 minutes the Wanderers drew level after a home side lineout infringement allowed Aled James to convert a penalty. The half continued with neither side looking as if a try was coming and the handling errors continued to provide both front rows with plenty of scrummaging practice. A rare drive into the home side 22 by the Wanderers pack caught Llanelli offside but the easy 3 points was ignored by Aled James and he attempted a quick tap. Unfortunately his execution was poor and the referee pulled the visitors back for a Llanelli scrum. Just before half time the home side took the lead after Steve Cullen was caught in possession and Ceiron Thomas made it 6-3. The half ended with Llanelli on the attack but once again defences were ruling the night and the attack came to nothing.

The Wanderers had an early second half chance to draw level but James missed with a penalty chance. The game continued to be littered with errors despite the efforts of both sides to bring some continuity to their play. Llanelli extended their lead soon afterwards with another Thomas penalty but the try line of either side rarely looked in danger. Both sides brought on several subs to inject some fresh legs but other than one Llanelli attack that briefly threatened the Wanderers line, the defences and several handling errors continued to dominate the play. The game entered its final quarter and the Wanderers scrum, which had been on top all game, provided a supply of possession but the visitors failed to provide that decisive break to bring them victory. The game ended as it had begun with plenty of effort but little reward and Llanelli were deserved winners by the virtue that they kicked their penalties.

Official : Matthew Aplin (Wales)

Llanelli Wanderers