2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Swansea 9 v 26 Wanderers
10 November 2007 - St Helen's, Swansea
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Swansea 9 Wanderers 26

Wanderers open-side flanker Ben Rose put in a dynamic performanc against Swansea
For more action pics from Swansea v The Wanderers visit: http://flickr.com/search/?q=gwrfc&page=8
Photographer: Alyn Humphreys

Swansea 9

Glamorgan Wanderers 26


“I think some people in the club felt I was past it, but I know I still have a something to offer the team” remarked prop Mark O’Leary after he stepped off the bench in the first half to replace captain Matthew Bolton and put in a man of the match performance as the Wanderers won on the road again.

Swansea had use of the wind in the first half but it was the Wanderers with their high tempo game who took the early initiative. Following a turnover in their own half the visitors counter attacked and forced a lineout on the Swansea 22. A quick throw set up a ruck and Swansea handled in an attempt to slow the ball down. Aled James stepped up and opened the scoring with an easy penalty. The home side regained possession from the kick off but the first of many handling errors stunted their attack. Wanderers started to press again and following a scrum the pack went through the phases before Mark Roper released his backs. A fine break and well timed pass by centre Simon Rosser enabled Aled James to crash over and score the first try of the afternoon. James missed the conversion but the Wanderers led 0-8. Immediately from the kick off Swansea were able to reduce the arrears with a Dan Biggar penalty and the difference was further reduced when the Wanderers were penalised at a scrum and Biggar landed another penalty. At this point captain Matthew Bolton was sidelined with a big toe injury and Mark O’Leary came on, out of position, at loosehead prop. The feared collapse of the Wanderers scrum never happened and they were once again on the attack. The visitors drove into the heart of the Swansea defence and Aled James was held up just short after a series of forward exchanges. Just before half time Wanderers were penalised for a crossing offence and Biggar put the All Whites into a fortunate lead at the break 9-8.

The second half began with Swansea’s poor hands once again letting them down. A turnover by O’Leary put the Wanderers back on the attack, giving them good field position. The home side struggled to clear their lines effectively and superb “Jackaling” by flanker Ben Rose resulted in a penalty which allowed James to put the Wanderers back in front 9-11. The first of a number of penalties at the scrum conceded by the all Whites gave the Wanderers a chance to extend their lead but the kick went wide. Soon afterwards Swansea had their own chance to register another score but a penalty chance also went wide. With the wanderers able to effect turnovers when it mattered it was only a matter of time before the home side defence was breached. A kick ahead by Morris resulted in the Swansea defence trying to run the ball out from behind their own posts. A pass went astray and Gareth Morris was on hand to pounce on the loose ball. James missed with the conversion but there was daylight between the teams at 9-16. Swansea responded and had their best period with a number of attacking opportunities but the Wanderers defence never budged. As the game entered its final stages it was clear that the Swansea front row could not cope with stature of O’Leary and they were forced into conceding a number of penalties. The visitors extended their lead with one penalty which left the All Whites chasing the game. Unable to get any good field position the home side were pinned back in their own half the Wanderers had another chance with a penalty to extend the lead but Ford’s attempt just went wide. The visitors kept up the pressure and in the dying minutes the Wanderers forwards pounded the Swansea line. The defence held firm until Mark Roper crashed over to seal the victory. James converted to round off another great day for the Wanderers.
Reporter: Alyn Humphreys

Swansea 9 - 26
(9 - 8)
Glamorgan Wanderers
James, Trelawney, Roper
Biggar 3
James 3

Official : Matthew Aplin (Wales)

Swansea Wanderers