2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Aberavon 15 v 18 Wanderers
03 November 2007 - Talbot Athletic Ground, Port Talbot
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Aberavon 15 Wanderers 18


Cardiff Blues &Wanderers center Dafydd Hewitt opening the Wanderers account with a superbly taken try.
More action pics from Aberavon v The Wanderers at:
Photographer: Alyn Humphreys

Aberavon 15

Glamorgan Wanderers 18


“Its nice to get some recognition for something other than scrummaging” claimed captain Matthew Bolton as supporters applauded his match saving turnover tackle that brought the Wanderers another win on the road this season. On a pleasant November afternoon, which kickers from both sides will probably want to forget, the visitors began brightly. Playing at pace with slick handling early holes in the Wizards defence were found. The Wanderers could have scored twice in three minutes as Dafydd Hewitt firstly found his footballing skills a little out of control and then with the line beckoning his try scoring pass went astray. The assault on the Aberavon line continued and it was not long before the Wanderers opened the scoring. Once again slick handling allowed penetration in midfield and Hewitt was on hand to round the move off to make up for his earlier disappointment. The first of many kicks were missed but the Wanderers led 0-5. The Wizards were struggling to get into the game and following a turnover in the Wanderers half a break by Charlie Johnson set Gareth Morris on a run for the line. He was pulled down short and just as everyone was looking for quick ball Aberavon achieved a turnover and turned desperate defence into attack. The move went the length of the field and despite Sam Warbuton’s best efforts the wizards rounded it off with the score. The conversion was missed leaving the scores level at 5-5. Soon afterwards the Wanderers were back in front. A turnover from Warbuton let Simon Rosser get away clear and Steve Cullen crashed over in the corner to give the visitors a 5-10 lead. That lead was extended further when Johnson landed the only successful kick of the day with a penalty from in front of the posts. At this point the Wanderers tempo was clearly giving them an advantage and as more holes appeared in the Wizards defence Simon Rosser broke through again and Johnson was on hand to score in the corner. As the half neared its end Aberavon at last began to find their feet and show the crowd what was to come in the second half. They pounded the Wanderers line but the visitors defence held firm and the sides went into the break with the score 5-18.

The second half was a total contrast to the first. Aberavon started to play with real conviction going through the phases with their forwards starting to get on top. Their change in tempo was rewarded early on as a series of forward drives presented them with quick ruck ball deep in the Wanderers 22. Slick handling allowed them to crash over in the corner to reduce the arrears to 10-18. They continued to have the advantage and the visitors started to give away a succession of penalties with desperate defence. Turning down the possibility of three points the Wizards set up an attacking position near the Wanderers line and from a scrum a blindside move sent      over in the corner for another unconverted try. The Wanderers were able to mount very few meaningful attacks relying on their defence time and time again to get them out of trouble. With injuries resulting in prop Scott Andrews having to play the last 10 minutes in the second row the Wanderers defence looked as if it would finally break.  As the game neared its conclusion Aberavon went for the win. Turning down at least three chances to level the scores, with penalties, they resorted to drive after drive from their forwards in an attempt to pull off an unlikely victory. With the final throw of the dice they went for one last drive from a line-out only to be thwarted by the Bolton match saving tackle after a series of rucks. The line was cleared and victory was achieved by the Wanderers. 



15 - 18
(5 - 18)

Glamorgan Wanderers

Gadd, Bennett, Peters


Hewitt, Cullen, Johnson






Official : Howard Hopkins (Wales)

Aberavon Wanderers