2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 12 v 18 Wanderers
20 October 2007 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Cardiff 12 Wanderers 18


Gareth Knight in action against his former club. For more action pics from Cardiff v The Wanderers, visit
Photographer: Alyn Humphreys

Cardiff 12

Glamorgan Wanderers 18

“One small step for rugby but a huge leap forward for Glamorgan Wanderers” a delighted Director of Rugby Billy James commented after the Wanderers had secured their first ever league victory over Cardiff. On a cloudy but bright afternoon at the Arms Park Wanderers chose to kick off and after the early exchanges the visitors were awarded a penalty at a ruck. Luke Ford stepped up to open the scoring with a well taken kick from 45 metres. The game settled in a struggle for possession with Cardiff having the majority of the play. The well organised Wanderers defence seemed to have everything under control until after quarter of an hour a missed tackle out wide allowed Damien Welch to gallop over to score the opening try. Craig Evans converted. Very soon afterwards Evans had a chance to extend their lead but a penalty chance went wide. As the half neared its end the Wanderers started to gain more possession and territory. After a line-out drive Cardiff were penalised at a ruck resulting in a sin-binning, reducing Cardiff down to 14. Unfortunately Ford missed the penalty chance and the Wanderers went into half time 7-3 down.

The game came alive at the start of the second half as the Wanderers stormed the opposition line. Desperate Cardiff tackling kept the visitors at bay as Andy Powell and his back-row colleagues drove into the heart of the defence. From a scrum, Powell set up a ruck and the forwards drove on. The maul crashed over the Cardiff line and Richard Thomas was awarded the touchdown to give the Wanderers a 7-8 lead. Soon afterwards the Wanderers extended their lead with a try that began in their own half. A Cardiff line-out was stolen by outstanding flanker Sam Warbuton and his 50 metre breakaway gave the Wanderers great field position. Quick ruck ball gave young outside half James Thomas a chance to break and following a ruck 5 metres out Andy Powell fed Luke Ford who crashed over in the corner. Ford converted his own try and the Wanderers were in control at 7-15. Cardiff hit back with their pack driving time and time again into the wanderers defence. Scrum half Harry Trelawny was sin binned for an offence at a ruck and the home side used their numerical advantage to reduce the arrears with a try from Adam Whitney. The Wanderers were not to be out done though and introductions from the bench allowed the visitors to turn ball over at crucial times. One such turnover from a defensive line-out allowed James Thomas to secure the victory with a neatly taken drop goal. The final moments saw the Wanderers control possession and the final whistle saw the celebrations begin.      Reporter: Alyn Humphreys

Official : James Jones (Wales)

Cardiff Wanderers