“Duracell” brace sets up Wanderers victory

Wanderers 54

Gilfach Goch 21

“When you look at a game on paper that saw 6 yellow cards and a large winning margin you do not get a realistic reflection of the game” commented manager John Lyons on his 60th Birthday! “We scored 54 points and left at least 3 tries out there and Gilfach deserved something from the game because they put in a decent performance”

“Very much still work in progress for this young group of players” added director of Rugby Martyn Fowler “We are pleased with the progression and know where we need to address weak spots but the future for many of these players is certainly bright”

On a bright afternoon at the Memorial Ground the Wanderers had the better of the early exchanges creating some early pressure on the visitor’s defence. A couple of penalties helped establish good field position but the Gilfach tackling was strong and they repelled all attacks. When they finally broke clear they gained a foothold in Wanderers territory, but it led to the home side’s first try. Stealing a Gilfach lineout, good work from the Josh Sheehan set the Wanderers on the attack and when the ball was recycled wide Will Adams Jones rounded the defence to score the first try 5-0. Gilfach settled to their task and after 16 minutes they took the lead. From a lineout on the Wanderers 22 they broke down the blindside and slipped the ball inside for their first try. With the conversion they were ahead 5-7. The game became a little frantic with little structure for a spell. The Wanderers saw yellow for the first time as Josh Sheehan was sent to the bin but soon afterwards the home side regained the lead. A lineout drive set up the position and after sucking in the defence the ball went wide again to Adams Jones who popped up on the right wing, this time to score. Luke Fish added the conversion and Gilfach saw yellow for the first time for a late challenge on the try scorer 12-7. The Wanderers tails were now up and they started to control proceedings. After 30 minutes they increased the lead. Another lineout set up the field position and when the ball was flashed back blind, Dan Apsee put prop Rob Lewis in space. Showing a neat turn of speed he raced away to score the third try of the half. Fish converted 19-7. At this point the pressure was all on the visitors and it became a little difficult to follow proceedings as yellow cards appeared. Gilfach went down to 13 after their second yellow and then the Wanderers, restored to fifteen briefly, went back down to 14 as Joe Russell saw yellow. The man advantage proved crucial as the Wanderers then extended their lead. Adams Jones did well again and when he was halted the ball went wide right with a chip across field from Fish. The ball fell into the hands of Phil Pariyo, who caught it! He then had the easiest of run ins for the bonus point try. Fish converted 26-7. With half time approaching Gilfach could have been forgiven for playing for the break but they have a strong spirit and they rallied well. Another card saw Wanderers lose another player, this time Josh Male for a tip tackle and the final minutes of the half saw the visitors pile on the pressure. Their efforts were rewarded with a second converted try to send the teams into the break at 26-14.

The second half began with the Wanderers being restored to 14 men and then Gilfach were reduced to 14 men for the duration of the game when their number 8 saw yellow (red) for the second time. The home side piled on the pressure and a try went begging when another Fish cross kick was spilled by Pariyo with the line beckoning. The Wanderers sent for a raft of subs with fresh legs but neither side could furnish decent scoring chances. Eventually “Bert in the box” was called into action again when more decent play from Adams Jones set up play in midfield. The backs were released and Cameron Gibbon ghosted through the defence and set Josh Male away to score the fifth try. Fish converted 33-14. Once again Gilfach showed great spirit and they had a period of pressure themselves. Having established good field position, they went on a series of drives and found a weak spot in the defence to cross for their third try of the game 33-21. Despite the two score advantage Gilfach still had aspirations of clawing their way back into the game but it was effectually put out of reach when Tom Penri Ellis crossed. Great work on the floor from Mike Owen created a turnover and after a quick couple of phases Penri Ellis was on hand to gallop away and use his long reach to stretch over under the posts. Fish converted 40-21. Gilfach went in search of that 4 try bonus point but despite their efforts they were denied on several occasions. Rob Evans, on as a sub, made a telling intervention putting Loxton in for the 7th try which Fish converted 47-21. The scoring for the day was completed when, whilst on the attack Gilfach spilled the ball. Loxton picked up the loose ball and put Gibbon away. He pinned back his ears and raced away from the defence to score the 8th try. Fish converted 54-21. The visitors went in desperate search of that bonus point try, which they probably deserved, but they lost a lineout on the last play of the game and the Wanderers sent the ball into the crowd to record the victory. Final Score 54-21

Wanderers scorers

Tries: Will Adams Jones(2), Phil Pariyo, Rob Lewis, Cameron Gibbon, Josh Male, James Loxton

Cons: Luke Fish (7)

Massiv man of the match: Rob Lewis


No Replies to ""Duracell" brace sets up Wanderers victory"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK